[GE users] Auto-installation tip

David S. dgs at gs.washington.edu
Fri Feb 11 02:43:30 GMT 2005

After a couple of hours of fruitless struggle with 60u3's auto-installation
mechanism, I tried a different approach: 'autoexpect', part of the 'expect'
package.  From $SGE_ROOT on an execution host, I issued the command

	autoexpect -c -p ./inst_sge -x

and went through the usual installation procedure.  That produced and
'expect' script "$SGE_ROOT/script.exp" capturing my interaction with
the the 'inst_sge' script.  Lo and behold, it worked like charm, even
knowing next to nothing about 'expect'.  With that script in hand,

	for host in $(cat xhost_list)
	do
	   ssh $host 'cd /mnt/sge; ./script.exp'
	done

automatically installed fifty execution hosts in few minutes.

Try it if you can't make the SGE auto-installation stuff work either.

David S.