[GE users] setting up mpich2 pe + qrsh

Andreas Haas Andreas.Haas at Sun.COM
Fri Feb 11 13:19:42 GMT 2005

On Fri, 11 Feb 2005 jeroen.m.kleijer at philips.com wrote:

> Hi Reuti,
>
> Sorry to keep bothering you with this but you (along with Ron Chen,
> Andreas Haas and a host of others who I can't possibly name all) seem to
> be the most active on this mailing list. (for which I am really grateful)
> I checked and the $TMPDIR (which is /volumes/scratch/<jobid>.batch.q) is
> created on the starting host of the job (usually the nlcftcs14). This
> directory doesn't get created on the other nodes (nlcftcs12 or 13),
> neither by SGE itself nor the startmpi.sh script.
> I'll comment out the mkdir entry.

Hi Jeroen,

the $TMPDIR must be created at each execution node. Code for this can
be found in daemons/execd/exec_job.c near the comment

      /* make tmpdir only when this is the first task that gets started
         in this queue. QU_job_slots_used holds actual number of used
         slots for this job in the queue */

those $TMPDIR's however(!) get not created before the first task is
started at an execution node. Possibly your setup depends on $TMPDIR
be available before the first task is started?

Regards,
Andreas