[GE users] setting up mpich2 pe + qrsh

jeroen.m.kleijer at philips.com jeroen.m.kleijer at philips.com
Fri Feb 11 14:18:48 GMT 2005

Hi Andreas,

I've figured out what the problem was (forgot the check "control slaves =
true" in the PE environment) so that was sorted out.
I am kind of wondering how a setup would look like where users are not
allowed to directly login to an execution host but are allowed to do a
qrsh -inherit -V.

My current setup was:
/etc/nsswitch.conf
passwd: compat
/etc/passwd (distributed via NIS)
(last entries)
+ at sysman:x:::::
+:x:::::/bin/false

This would allow only system administrators to directly login to the nodes
and anyone that's not in the sysman netgroup gets denied access.
This is perfect for regular jobs but MPI jobs which require being able to
qrsh are denied access as well so I've had to set /etc/nsswitch.conf to:
passwd: files nis

In this setup rsh is allowed (but using hosts.equiv, only from other
execution hosts)

Do you have any suggestions how to tackle this kind of situation? (I know
this is more system administration related than SGE but still)
I want:
allow direct acces to execution hosts for system adminstrators (preferably
via netgroups)
deny direct access to execution hosts for regular users
allow qrsh from one execution hosts to another via -inherit

Met vriendelijke groeten / Kind regards

Jeroen Kleijer
Unix Systeembeheer
Philips Applied Technologies