[GE users] How to list possible queues

Olle Liljenzin olle at carmen.se
Mon Feb 14 15:18:39 GMT 2005

Andy,

I have the queue 'build' that I only want to be used by some special
type of jobs.

To avoid other jobs from being scheduled to the build queue by default,
I tried the following approaches:

1: Default requests

I define a boolean complex variable 'build' that is true for the build
queue, but false for other queues. I add '-l build=false' to the
sge_request file.

qsub works fine. Jobs not requesting 'build=true' can not be scheduled
to the build queue.

'qstat -f' will still list the build queue by default, which is
confusing for the users. Adding '-l build=false' to the sge_qstat file
will not work since the interpretation of conflicting resource
requirements seems to differ between qsub and qstat. E.g. 'qsub -l
build=false,build=true' will be equivalent to 'qsub -l build=true' while
'qstat -f -l build=false,build=true' will select the empty set.

2: Forced complex variables

I define a forced boolean complex variable 'build' that is true for the
build queue and undefined for the rest of the queues.

qsub works fine.

'qstat -f -l build=true' will list the build queue only. 'qstat -f' will
list all queues, including the build queue.

/Olle