[GE users] How to list possible queues

Andy Schwierskott andy.schwierskott at sun.com
Mon Feb 14 16:56:15 GMT 2005

Olle,

> I have the queue 'build' that I only want to be used by some special type of
> jobs.
>
> To avoid other jobs from being scheduled to the build queue by default, I
> tried the following approaches:
>

> 1: Default requests
>
> I define a boolean complex variable 'build' that is true for the build queue,
> but false for other queues. I add '-l build=false' to the sge_request file.
>
> qsub works fine. Jobs not requesting 'build=true' can not be scheduled to the
> build queue.
>
> 'qstat -f' will still list the build queue by default, which is confusing for
> the users. Adding '-l build=false' to the sge_qstat file will not work since
> the interpretation of conflicting resource requirements seems to differ
> between qsub and qstat. E.g. 'qsub -l build=false,build=true' will be
> equivalent to 'qsub -l build=true' while 'qstat -f -l build=false,build=true'
> will select the empty set.

This is not a bug of the sge_qstat file - the same happens when you do it in
the command line:

    qstat -f -l build=true,build=false

or

    qstat -f -l build=false,build=true

always return en empty set.

The same rules like for qsub need to apply.

could you please file an IZ?

> 2: Forced complex variables
>
> I define a forced boolean complex variable 'build' that is true for the build
> queue and undefined for the rest of the queues.
>
> qsub works fine.
>
> 'qstat -f -l build=true' will list the build queue only. 'qstat -f' will list
> all queues, including the build queue.

yes, but's that's ok (or is there a setting in "sge_qstat" which makes you
expecting a different value?

The "FORCED" setting applies for qusb only - it has no influence on qstat. I
also think it shouldn't have.

Andy

> /Olle
>
> Andy Schwierskott wrote:
>> Olle,
>>
>>> Anyone that knows if I can use qstat or qselect to print a list of
>>> queues that exactly match the resource requirments for a qsub command?
>>>
>>> I need to use forced complex variables or default requests to avoid some
>>> special queues from being used if not requested. The scheduler will put
>>> the jobs on the right queues, but I can't find an easy way to print what
>>> alternatives the scheduler will have by using qstat or qselect.
>>

>>    qstat -l ....
>>
>> should do the job. It doesn't consider actual load vlaues (there's an RFE
>> that it should be able to do it) but looking at your question I think you
>> don't need that. for resource requests where the relational operater is is
>> <, <= >, >= you will get all queues where a job also would fit in.
>>
>> So
>>     % qstat -f -l h_stack=1M
>>     % qselect -l h_stack=1M
>>
>> would print all queues which have *at least* a stack size of 1MB
>> configured.
>>
>> Andy

Andy

Andy Schwierskott           Tel: +49 (0)941 3075-200 (x60200)
N1 Grid Engine Engineering  Fax: +49 (0)941 3075-222 (x60222)
Sun Microsystems GmbH
Dr.-Leo-Ritter-Str. 7       mailto:andy.schwierskott at sun.com
D-93049 Regensburg          http://www.sun.com/gridware