[GE users] How to list possible queues

Olle Liljenzin olle at carmen.se
Tue Feb 15 07:30:33 GMT 2005

Andy Schwierskott wrote:
>> 'qstat -f' will still list the build queue by default, which is
>> confusing for the users. Adding '-l build=false' to the sge_qstat file
>> will not work since the interpretation of conflicting resource
>> requirements seems to differ between qsub and qstat. E.g. 'qsub -l
>> build=false,build=true' will be equivalent to 'qsub -l build=true'
>> while 'qstat -f -l build=false,build=true' will select the empty set.
>

> This is not a bug of the sge_qstat file - the same happens when you do
> it in
> the command line:
>
>    qstat -f -l build=true,build=false
>
> or
>
>    qstat -f -l build=false,build=true
>
> always return en empty set.
>
> The same rules like for qsub need to apply.
>
> could you please file an IZ?

I will file an IZ. Changing qstat might be a better idea than changing
qsub, otherwise the possibility to override default parameters in the
sge_request file will get lost. Or is it just me using this feature?

>> 2: Forced complex variables
>>
>> I define a forced boolean complex variable 'build' that is true for
>> the build queue and undefined for the rest of the queues.
>>
>> qsub works fine.
>>
>> 'qstat -f -l build=true' will list the build queue only. 'qstat -f'
>> will list all queues, including the build queue.
>

> yes, but's that's ok (or is there a setting in "sge_qstat" which makes you
> expecting a different value?

The sge_qstat file is clean. If you say qstat is ok I will accept that,
but I find it a bit weird. The build queue is not an option for the
scheduler if it provides the forced resource 'build' and the resource is
not requested. So why does qstat show this queue if the resource is not
requested?

Consider the following example. Given the output from qstat, it is hard
to see why the first qrsh fails:

% qstat -f -l h=pml
queuename                      qtype used/tot. load_avg arch          states
build at portmoller.carmen.se     BIP   0/2       0.00     lx24-x86

% qrsh -l h=pml hostname
Your "qrsh" request could not be scheduled, try again later.

% qrsh -l h=pml,build hostname
portmoller

/Olle