[GE users] How to list possible queues

Andy Schwierskott andy.schwierskott at sun.com
Tue Feb 15 12:48:21 GMT 2005

Olle,

> Andy Schwierskott wrote:
>>> 'qstat -f' will still list the build queue by default, which is
>>> confusing for the users. Adding '-l build=false' to the sge_qstat file
>>> will not work since the interpretation of conflicting resource
>>> requirements seems to differ between qsub and qstat. E.g. 'qsub -l
>>> build=false,build=true' will be equivalent to 'qsub -l build=true' while
>>> 'qstat -f -l build=false,build=true' will select the empty set.
>>

>> This is not a bug of the sge_qstat file - the same happens when you do it
>> in
>> the command line:
>>
>>    qstat -f -l build=true,build=false
>>
>> or
>>
>>    qstat -f -l build=false,build=true
>>
>> always return en empty set.
>>
>> The same rules like for qsub need to apply.
>>
>> could you please file an IZ?
>>

> I will file an IZ. Changing qstat might be a better idea than changing qsub,
> otherwise the possibility to override default parameters in the sge_request
> file will get lost. Or is it just me using this feature?

The current behavior just makes no sense. With the new sge_qstat file in
6.0u2 this can become a practial limitation. Btw. there's a bug with
"qselect" - "qselect" also reads reads the sge_qstat file - this is wrong
according to the doc and is not a useful behavior. I will file an IZ for
this.

>>> 2: Forced complex variables
>>>
>>> I define a forced boolean complex variable 'build' that is true for the
>>> build queue and undefined for the rest of the queues.
>>>
>>> qsub works fine.
>>>
>>> 'qstat -f -l build=true' will list the build queue only. 'qstat -f' will
>>> list all queues, including the build queue.
>>

>> yes, but's that's ok (or is there a setting in "sge_qstat" which makes you
>> expecting a different value?
>
> The sge_qstat file is clean. If you say qstat is ok I will accept that, but I
> find it a bit weird. The build queue is not an option for the scheduler if it
> provides the forced resource 'build' and the resource is not requested. So
> why does qstat show this queue if the resource is not requested?
>
> Consider the following example. Given the output from qstat, it is hard to
> see why the first qrsh fails:
>
> % qstat -f -l h=pml
> queuename                      qtype used/tot. load_avg arch          states
> build at portmoller.carmen.se     BIP   0/2       0.00     lx24-x86
>
> % qrsh -l h=pml hostname
> Your "qrsh" request could not be scheduled, try again later.
>
> % qrsh -l h=pml,build hostname
> portmoller

Well, this a a valid point - I think we should get the opinion from other
users and developers to come to a better conclusion.

Andy