[GE users] limiting the number of jobs scheduled in a single run of the sche duler

Thomas, Ryan Ryan.Thomas at scansoft.com
Tue Feb 15 20:55:49 GMT 2005

Recent versions of RedHat linux seem to have problems when a large number of
clients simultaneously automount directories.   This problem was reported
for users of the LFS queuing system and I can confirm that we see it using
SGE as well (see
http://www.mail-archive.com/autofs@linux.kernel.org/msg04023.html
<http://www.mail-archive.com/autofs@linux.kernel.org/msg04023.html>  for
details)

A natural workaround for this problem would be to pick a reasonable
scheduling interval (15 seconds) but limit the number of jobs that get
scheduled in each run of the scheduler.  I can't see an obvious way to do
this in SGE 5.3.  Can this easily be done?

Thanks,

Ryan