[GE users] Task scheduling

Tobias Sargeant sargeant at wehi.edu.au
Wed Feb 16 04:36:01 GMT 2005

On 15/02/2005, at 2:19 PM, Ron Chen wrote:

> --- Toby Sargeant <sargeant at wehi.edu.au> wrote:
>> This has a few problems:
>>
>> 1) If the queue isn't specified when a job is
>> started, it executes tasks in all queues, which
>> seems to cause 2 tasks to execute per CPU (although
>> I'm not sure why this happens).
>
> Are they Xeon CPUs with HT? How many CPUs does each
> machine have?

Each box is a dual CPU XServe. To be cleaer, when I
say 2 tasks per CPU, the implication is 4 tasks per\
box.

> Run $SGE_ROOT/gridengine/utilbin/<arch>/loadcheck --
> it will show you the number of CPUs available.

num_proc        2

As expected.

>> 2) Migrating the longer running job back to all.q
>> after the other job finishes has to be done by hand,
>> and until it's done we waste half of our CPUs.
>
> Or script it?
>
>> 3) While we've only had two jobs at once thus far as
>> soon as we have 3 or more this solution doesn't
> work.
>
> If the jobs are from different users, you can setup a
> share tree to allow each user to have a fairshare of
> the cluster.
>
> If they are from the same user, setting
> "max_aj_instances" (see sge_conf(5)) will limit the
> number of tasks allowed to run per array job.

Thanks a lot! This looks like it will do the job.

Is there a way to add hooks to SGE to execute code
at job submit/completion, or will I have to use cron?

Toby.