[GE users] Task scheduling

Kirk Patton kpatton at transmeta.com
Wed Feb 16 15:39:55 GMT 2005

On Wed, Feb 16, 2005 at 06:30:01AM -0500, Chris Dagdigian wrote:
> Tobias Sargeant wrote:
>
> >Thanks a lot! This looks like it will do the job.
> >
> >Is there a way to add hooks to SGE to execute code
> >at job submit/completion, or will I have to use cron?
> >

> Check out the Grid Engine documentation on "prolog" and "epilog"
> scripts. They are configured at the queue level and can run before the
> job starts (prolog) and after it exits (epilog).
>
> -Chris

I have implemented user level prolog/epilog scripts at my site
by defining generic prolog/epilog scripts at the queue level.

It works well, although I would like to see it implemented in
SGE.  My setup is a bit of a hack and probably has security implications.

The generic scripts look for an environment variable that points to the actual
script to be executed.  If there is not script, the the generic prolog/epilog
exits 0.  Should there be a user specified prolog/epilog, it is exec'ed.

Kirk

Kirk Patton
Unix Administrator
Transmeta Inc.