[GE users] qrsh and iptables

Bevan C. Bennett bevan at fulcrummicro.com
Fri Feb 25 02:30:27 GMT 2005

Has anyone worked out a particularly clever way to use qrsh without
having to have every exec host trust all tcp from every possible submit
host, and vice versa?

The process for getting an interactive login appears to involve
initiating the following tcp connections:

1) submithost:X -> qmaster:536
2) qmaster:536 -> exechost (previously established connection)
3) exechost:(seemingly random) -> submithost:X+1
4) submithost:X+2 -> exechost:(wherever the daemon started)

Number 3 requires that your submit hosts allow connections from any
unprivledged port on any possible exec host to any local unprivledged port.

Number 4 requires that your exec hosts allow connections from any
unprivledged port on any submit host to any local unprivledged port.

In practice this means that exec hosts end up having to use a wide-open
iptables configuration, and that submit hosts need be wide-open to
anywhere that exec hosts might be. (Alternatively, you can never use
qrsh and just use qsub, if you can convince your users...)

It's #3 that actually bothers me the most, as it seems like it shouldn't
be neccessary.  Why does the exechost send the connection port directly
to the submithost instead of passing it through the qmaster? I don't
like that you need to un-firewall submithosts in order for qrsh to work.

Has anyone come up with any clever ways to configure this better?

I haven't hacked at the relevant code since 5.x, but the behavior hasn't
changed since then.