[GE users] 5.x -> 6.0 transition question

Bevan C. Bennett bevan at fulcrummicro.com
Fri Feb 25 02:45:53 GMT 2005

I'm hoping to transition from 5.3 to 6.0u3 in the near future, but have
already noticed a potential snag.

We have a multiple architecture cluster set up (glinux, solaris64, and
lx24-amd64), and have a large number of homebuilt utilities and scripts
that are set up to run qsub or qrsh with "-l a=solaris64" or "-l a=glinux".

It appears that 6.0 has changed the names for the various architectures...

glinux -> lx24-x86
solaris64 -> sol-sparc64

I like the new naming consistancy, but if I switched over all of our
workflow would break.

Is it possible to set up architecture aliases in SGE6, so that, for
example, a request for a=glinux gets translated to the new a=lx24-x86?

Failing that, is it possible to just rename the new architectures in
$SGE_ROOT/util/arch, rename the bin and utilbin directories, and have
everything still work (ie: are the new arch codes compiled into the
binaries anywhere)?