[GE users] 5.x -> 6.0 transition question

Andreas Haas Andreas.Haas at Sun.COM
Fri Feb 25 11:16:45 GMT 2005

On Thu, 24 Feb 2005, Bevan C. Bennett wrote:

> I'm hoping to transition from 5.3 to 6.0u3 in the near future, but have
> already noticed a potential snag.
>
> We have a multiple architecture cluster set up (glinux, solaris64, and
> lx24-amd64), and have a large number of homebuilt utilities and scripts
> that are set up to run qsub or qrsh with "-l a=solaris64" or "-l a=glinux".
>
> It appears that 6.0 has changed the names for the various architectures...
>
> glinux -> lx24-x86
> solaris64 -> sol-sparc64
>
> I like the new naming consistancy, but if I switched over all of our
> workflow would break.
>
> Is it possible to set up architecture aliases in SGE6, so that, for
> example, a request for a=glinux gets translated to the new a=lx24-x86?

The 'arch' value reported by execd as kind of a load value and thus
can be overwritten in host complexes configuration

   # qconf -se eomer | grep complex
   complex_values        arch=solaris64

   # qstat -help | head -2
   SGE maintrunk
   usage: qstat [options]

   # qstat -f -l a=solaris64
   queuename                      qtype used/tot. load_avg arch          states
   all.q at eomer                    BIP   0/4       0.01     solaris64

> Failing that, is it possible to just rename the new architectures in
> $SGE_ROOT/util/arch, rename the bin and utilbin directories, and have
> everything still work (ie: are the new arch codes compiled into the
> binaries anywhere)?

Won't work b/c arch names are coded into binaries.

Andreas