[GE users] how do i isntall SGE???

Reuti reuti at staff.uni-marburg.de
Fri Jan 7 21:16:22 GMT 2005

> The idea is that jobs submitted to O200 execute on paris, pichilemu other
> altix using not just the first node, but the entire cluster. I think SGE will
>
> work as follows:
>
>  A job is submitted to O200
>  the job goes to execution, for example, on paris
>  the job is distributed by the qmaster on paris between the nodes paris2..7

The qmaster on paris will not distribute the jobs to the end node. If I got you
in the correct way, you are thinking of a hierarchy:

O200-submit -> qmaster O200 -> qmaster paris -> execd paris4

This will not work. You could submit on the O200 a job, that submits your job
to paris. But this makes not much sense.

Are the cells near together and could in principle rearranged to contact all
the qmaster on O200 (maybe with a routing in paris)?

> i don't know if it'll work or if i need to do something special to make it
> work, but that's the way i think i'll do it.
>
> > There is also the possibility to install a qmaster on Altix and use
> transfer
> > queues between these 3 clusters, this way you don't need the O200 at all.
> > Is there any shared home in the cluster?>
>
>  No, there's no shared home in the cluster.

Are there all the same users on all machines?

How will you get the results back from the nodes? You would need to copy the
whole way back: paris2 -> paris -> O200 Where are your users picking up their
results currently?

Will users still submit jobs directly on paris, or should all be done only on
the O200 and they can request a machine of the paris (let's call it) pool?

Sorry, many questions - Reuti