[GE users] building from cvs source fails for x86_64 architecture

Joe Landman landman at scalableinformatics.com
Mon Jan 10 17:35:06 GMT 2005

Folks:

   I need to rebuild the gridengine bits, as for some reason, the
provided binaries are failing on my machines.  So I pulled the
10-Jan-2005 CVS sources.  Followed the directions.   And ran into problems.

   I can get up to ./aimk depend, and then I get this:

[...]
_________3_r_d_p_a_r_t_y__Q_M_A_K_E_______
checking for working aclocal... found
checking for working autoconf... found
checking for working automake... found
checking for working autoheader... found
checking for working makeinfo... found
checking host system type... Invalid configuration
`x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu': machine `x86_64-unknown' not recognized

checking whether make sets ${MAKE}... (cached) yes
checking for gcc... gcc
checking whether the C compiler (gcc -O3 -Wall -Werror
-Wstrict-prototypes -DLINUX -DLINUXAMD64 -DLINUXAMD64_26 -D_GNU_SOURCE
-DGETHOSTBYNAME_R6 -DGETHOSTBYADDR_R8  -DHAS_IN_PORT_T -DLOAD_OPENSSL
-I/vol2/SW/db-4.2.52/lx26-amd64/include/ -DTARGET_64BIT -DQCONF_FLATFILE
  -DSPOOLING_dynamic -DSECURE
-I/vol2/tools/SW/openssl-0.9.7e/lx26-amd64/include -Wno-sign-compare
-Wno-strict-aliasing -DCOMPILE_DC -D__SGE_COMPILE_WITH_GETTEXT__
-D__SGE_NO_USERMAPPING__ ) works... no
configure: error: installation or configuration problem: C compiler
cannot create executables.
make: Makefile: No such file or directory
make: *** No rule to make target `Makefile'.  Stop.
not done

Of course, cd'ing into that directory, running ./configure by hand,
generates working Makefiles without any complaints.  Also, it looks like
the include paths are wrong:

	/vol2/tools/SW/openssl-0.9.7e/lx26-amd64/include

as in hardwired to some developers machine.  Where are they hardwired so
i can fix them?  Also, can I force the aimk to be verbose about what it
is doing?  I could simply add a '-x' to the script, but that will
overload the output making problem determination somewhat harder.

Thanks.

joe

ps:  Any plans to migrate over to an autoconf or similar system to make
builds somewhat easier?