[GE users] N1GE6U1 and ssh

Timo Viitanen Timo.Viitanen at csc.fi
Tue Jan 11 15:04:05 GMT 2005

Hello

I have some trouble getting the qsh command to transfer the display
correctly to my workstation. I'm using ssh to connect to the primary
node (96cpu 15K) and I'm submitting all jobs from there. If I get and
interactive slot (using qsh) at the same node then I'm able to get the
xterm on my screen. But if the slot comes from the other node (another
96cpu 15K) then I'm not able to get the xterm on my screen.

So if I have understod correctly this is the normal behaviour if using
rsh etc within the SGE and using ssh to connect to the submitting host.

But after reading all of the messages to this list which even
mentioned ssh and reading all the documentation and howtos in the
gridengine.sunsource.net and reading the N1GE6 docs in docs.sun.com
I'm still unable to get the N1GE6U1 to use ssh to start qsh jobs.

I created the /usr/local/bin/qssh script as in one of the messages
here instructed and changed the following parameters with qconf -mconf

qlogin_command               /usr/local/bin/qssh
rsh_command                  /usr/local/bin/qssh
rlogin_command               /usr/local/bin/qssh
qlogin_daemon                /usr/local/sbin/sshd -i
rlogin_daemon                /usr/local/sbin/sshd -i

Running qlogin and qrsh works without problems and I can open a xterm
even from the remote node. But if I use qsh then I will not get the
xterm from the other node. The qsh starts normally and the job
terminates from the queue after few seconds without any messages.

So I must have missed something very important on the ssh howto which
is quite hard as it is just one page... :)

Any pointers which way I should look to get this working?

/Timo

ps. We are using openssh3.9p1 from the sunfreeware.com as the Solaris9
version has very serious performance problems when running X programs
over it.

pps. we have Solaris9 with latest patches... :)

--
Timo Viitanen, järjestelmäasiantuntija, Laskentapalvelimet
CSC, Tekniikantie 15aD, PL 405, 02101 Espoo
Timo.Viitanen at csc.fi