[GE users] SGE6.0u1 and user hold and -sync issue

Andreas Haas Andreas.Haas at Sun.COM
Wed Jan 12 11:07:27 GMT 2005

On Tue, 11 Jan 2005, Daniel Templeton wrote:

> The reason why the return code of qsub is unrelated to the return code
> of the completed job is the question of what to do with array jobs?  We
> could certainly make the status code be that of the finished job if it's
> not an array job.  What do we do if it is?

More than just jobs success/failure certainly can't be returned for
array jobs. Possibly jobs exit status should be returned for sequential
jobs only.

Deliberating more about qsub '-sync y' exit status behaviour I tend to
doubt jobs' exit status can be used at all. In case qsub returns '1' it
might indicate job execution has failed or the job ran successfully and
finished with exit status '1'. Though an error message is returned in
case of jobs failure but this isn't the interface I'd dream of.

What are users thinking about such an interface?

Regards,
Andreas