[GE users] SGE6.0u1 and user hold and -sync issue

Fred L Youhanaie fly at anydata.co.uk
Wed Jan 12 13:33:24 GMT 2005

Hi Andreas,

How about using an interface similar to unix system calls, for example,
qsub will return 0 if all went well, including all the tasks of an array
job, and anything else will indicate that something was wrong. The
user/script would then use another utility, e.g. qerr <jobid>, which
would then extract the return code(s) of the job and print on stdout, to
be parsed further:

     qsub -y sync ...
     if [ $? != 0 ]
     then
         jobstat=`qerr <jobid>`
         # $jobstat may be something like "0 1 0 0 0 24 0 3 ..."
     fi

Of course qerr can be made to return non-zero status to indicate that
the job did not start, or no job records were found etc

If the job array has 10s of thousands tasks, the user will have to think
carefully about how to handle the outout of qerr.

HTH

Cheers
f.