[GE users] consumable question

Kirk Patton kpatton at transmeta.com
Wed Jan 12 21:52:54 GMT 2005

On Wed, Jan 12, 2005 at 10:38:57PM +0100, Reuti wrote:
> Hi,
>
> what about two queues for each type of the jobs, and subordinated to each
> other. You start with empty queues, and as soon as the first type of jobs is
> running the other queue is suspended (and no new jobs will start therein).
>
> CU - Reuti

Hello Reuti,

Thanks for the suggestion.  My queue structure is very simple and is based on
priorities(critical,common,trivial).  I try to avoid using additional queues
unless absolutely necessary.

This is a situation where I would not consider the benefits worth the additional
queue.  When I initially considered the problem, I figured I could just set some
counter as the jobs are dispatched and then later use that counter for a boolean
descision.  But, as I started looking into it, I can't see a way to do it like this.

I welcome any additional suggestions. :-)

Thanks,
Kirk

> Quoting Kirk Patton <kpatton at transmeta.com>:
>
> > Hello,
> >
> > I have a user that has two types of jobs they would like to submit.  I will
> > call these groups 'A' & 'B'.  The jobs from either group may be from other
> > users, but the dispatch conditions should remain the same reguardless of
> > other
> > consideration like fairshare.  It is a boolean decision on job dispatch.
> >
> > When any of the jobs from group 'A' are running, no new jobs from group 'B'
> > should be dispatched.
> >

> > I briefly considered using a job dependancy, but that would require the
> > user
> > to look though all of the running jobs to determine if any are from the
> > other group.
> >
> > Is it possible to set some complex value at submission time and base the next
> >
> > job dispatch on it?
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Kirk
> >
> > --