[GE users] 1-CPU job in parallel environment

Joachim Gabler Joachim.Gabler at Sun.COM
Thu Jan 13 08:26:53 GMT 2005

Wolfgang,

reason for the job not starting is the allocation rule in your pe.

If you use an integer as allocation rule, Grid Engine will allocate this
number of slots per queue. Jobs will only run using this pe, if the
number of slots requested is equal or a multiple of the configured
allocation rule.

You can add another pe, e.g. lam_single having "1" as allocation rule.
If you specify a pe wildcard at submission time (-pe "lam*"), Grid
Engine will choose the correct pe for your job.

Best regards,

  Joachim

Wolfgang Dobler wrote:

>I have a user who wants to do serial runs with an application that
>requires MPI even for those. Our parallel environment `lam' starts up lam-mpi
>for the given number of nodes and stops it after the job.
>
>If he tries to submit his job with
>
>  qsub -pe lam 1 test.csh
>
>in order to have sge start up lam-mpi for him, he gets
>
>  Unable to run job: error: no suitable queues.
>  Exiting.
>
>Is it true that a parallel environment cannot be used with less than two
>processes?
>
>Here's the pe configuration
>
>  pe_name           lam
>  slots             500
>  user_lists        NONE
>  xuser_lists       NONE
>  start_proc_args   /usr/local/bin/wd-lam-sge start
>  stop_proc_args    /usr/local/bin/wd-lam-sge stop
>  allocation_rule   2
>  control_slaves    FALSE
>  job_is_first_task TRUE
>  urgency_slots     min
>
>I tried other allocation_rules, but without success.
>
>We are using gridengine 6.0u1
>

>W o l f g a n g

Joachim Gabler          Tel: +49 941 3075-233 (x60233)
Sun Microsystems GmbH   Fax: +49 941 3075-222 (x60222)
Dr.-Leo-Ritter-Str. 7	mailto:joga at sun.com
D-93049 Regensburg      http://www.sun.de