[GE users] SunGrid Engine & BLAST

Michael Dinsmore jmnemonic at gmail.com
Thu Jan 13 20:08:06 GMT 2005

On Thu, 13 Jan 2005 10:41:45 PST, Rayson Ho <raysonho at eseenet.com> wrote:
> >improve on 10.4.  What exactly the limitations of NFS on 10.3 isn't
> >clear,
>
> This discussion thread has some more info on NFS serving on OSX:
> http://lists.apple.com/archives/scitech/2005/Jan/msg00072.html
>
> Basically, if your NFS export directory has a lot of files, or if the file
> size is large, or even with a moderate number of NFS clients, the
> performance of OSX as a server is bad :(
>
> Rayson

I'm reading that thread too, actually;  and, interestingly, one of the
VT guys said that they hit a single OS X NFS file server with all 1100
nodes, with lots of data, and don't have any issues.

here:
http://lists.apple.com/archives/scitech/2005/Jan/msg00103.html

And actually, I don't see any specific complaints about NFS in that
thread, either.  Maybe poor NFS performance is just a rumor?  Do you
have any direct experience with it that countermands the VT
experience?  Or have a link to a discussion of the OS X NFS
limitations?

Thx.