[GE users] SunGrid Engine & BLAST

Paul Mitchell pmitchel at email.unc.edu
Fri Jan 14 15:20:54 GMT 2005

On Fri, 14 Jan 2005, Hrishikesh Deshmukh wrote:

> Here is what i get for the commands you suggested to run
>    starting sge_qmaster
> starting program: /usr/local/sge/bin/darwin/sge_commd
> using service "sge_commd"
> bound to port 28
> Reading in complexes:
>         Complex "host".
>         Complex "queue".
> Reading in execution hosts.
> Reading in administrative hosts.
> Reading in submit hosts.
> Reading in parallel environments:
>         PE "make".
> Reading in scheduler configuration
>    starting sge_schedd

> netstat -an | grep $COMMD_PORT
> Usage: grep [OPTION]... PATTERN [FILE]...
> Try `grep --help' for more information.

You're getting an error message from grep, probably because it cannot
resolve the $COMMD_PORT.  Why not try:

	netstat -an | grep 28

or
	netstat -an | grep 535

etc.

> I have to keep setting SGE_ROOT, how do i set it permanently.
> I had done as suggested in the installation manual
> SGE_ROOT=/usr/local/sge;export SGE_ROOT;echo $SGE_ROOT
> Do i need to do anything more.

I got tried of resetting it so I put the following lines in /etc/profile:

# The next two lines set up the gridengine environment
export SGE_ROOT=/usr/local/sge
. $SGE_ROOT/default/common/settings.sh
$ echo $SGE_ROOT
/usr/local/sge

I also placed the following line in my .kshrc file:

export SGE_ROOT=/usr/local/sge

Paul Mitchell

	Paul Mitchell
	email: pmitchel at email.unc.edu
	phone: (919) 962-9778
	office: I have an office, room 14, Phillips Hall