[GE users] SGE6.0u1 and user hold and -sync issue

Andreas Haas Andreas.Haas at Sun.COM
Fri Jan 14 17:06:35 GMT 2005

On Wed, 12 Jan 2005, Wilfried Gaensheimer wrote:

> Fred L Youhanaie wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> I agree with Fred, that "qsub -sync y" should return a non-zero
> exit code if the batch job or any of a job of an array failed.
> One could use the y|n option value, e.g. a "-sync i" would indicate
> "ignore batch job exit status" ...

A non-zero batch job exit status isn't considered an error
condition by Grid Engine.

Well, except it is 100. This is treated as 'application job
error'. This effectuates job error state 'E' just like use of

      -S /non/existing/shell

see under FORBID_APPERROR in sge_conf(5).

> I can live with the current situation (our submit wrapper reads the qsub
> -sync output and does the right thing).

I take your statement as a confirmation users perceive dual use
of qsub exit status a useful interface ;-)

Thus I believe it is valid to make a distinction with qsub -sync y
exit status:

- with sequential jobs dual use of qsub exit is useful as
  long as qsub -sync y output allows to differ between
  job error condition and exit status
- with array jobs dual use of qsub exit isn't useful. If
  the job exit status is of interest qacct anyways has to be
  used for checking each tasks exit status

Regards,
Andreas