[GE users] Universal RPM spec file

Bryan Stillwell bryans at aspsys.com
Fri Jan 14 23:51:32 GMT 2005

I'm trying to create an universal RPM spec file for SGE.  The idea is to
have one spec file that can be included in the source tarball that will
allow SGE to be built on RedHat Enterprise Linux, Fedora, SuSE Pro, and
SuSE Linux Enterprise Server on both x86 and amd64 architectures (I've
already done this with Torque and Maui).  However, I'm running into some
problems getting SGE to compile on some of these distros/archs.

So far I'm using the following patches to the source tree that I've
attached to this message:

sge-amd64.patch
   Fixes source/dist/util/{arch,arch.dist} to build with glibc being in
   /lib64.  This patch was taken from Sean Dilda's SRPM that they use at
   Duke.

sge-db4.patch
   Updates the location to the Berkeley DB include and libs.

sge-openssl.patch
   Updates the location to the openssl include and libs.

The build seems to go fine until it gets to the 3rdparty directory.  At
that point I get the below failures (this is on Fedora Core 2 for x86_64):

--- Start --------------------------------------------------------------
_________3_r_d_p_a_r_t_y__R_E_M_O_T_E_____
 INFO: Architecture dir LINUXAMD64_26 not existing for 3rdparty remote. Making
No dependencies for 3rd_party remote
_________3_r_d_p_a_r_t_y__Q_M_A_K_E_______
creating cache ./config.cache
checking for working aclocal... missing
checking for working autoconf... missing
checking for working automake... missing
checking for working autoheader... missing
checking for working makeinfo... missing
checking host system type... Invalid configuration `x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu': machine `x86_64-unknown' not recognized

checking whether make sets ${MAKE}... (cached) yes
checking for gcc... gcc
checking whether the C compiler (gcc -O3 -Wall -Werror -Wstrict-prototypes -DLINUX -DLINUXAMD64 -DLINUXAMD64_26 -D_GNU_SOURCE -DGETHOSTBYNAME_R6 -DGETHOSTBYADDR_R8  -DHAS_IN_PORT_T -DLOAD_OPENSSL
-I/usr/include/ -DTARGET_64BIT -DQCONF_FLATFILE  -DSPOOLING_dynamic -DENABLE_NGC -DSECURE -I/usr/include -Wno-sign-compare -Wno-strict-aliasing -DCOMPILE_DC -D__SGE_COMPILE_WITH_GETTEXT__
-D__SGE_NO_USERMAPPING__ ) works... no
configure: error: installation or configuration problem: C compiler cannot create executables.
make: Makefile: No such file or directory
make: *** No rule to make target `Makefile'.  Stop.
not done
error: Bad exit status from /home/build/rpm/tmp/rpm-tmp.30551 (%build)

RPM build errors:
    Bad exit status from /home/build/rpm/tmp/rpm-tmp.30551 (%build)
--- Finish -------------------------------------------------------------

Oddly enough, running configure in source/3rdparty/qmake after the
failure, works fine.  Based off a couple of the error messages, it
appears that support for 2.6 kernels on amd64 isn't supported yet.  Does
anyone have a patch against the V60u1 tree that will allow this to work,
but doesn't break compatibility with 2.4 or x86?

Also I notice that V60u2 has been tagged but not released.  Is there a
story behind this?

Thanks,
Bryan

--
Aspen Systems, Inc.    | http://www.aspsys.com/
Production Engineer    | Phone: (303)431-4606

    [ Part 2, Text/PLAIN 35 lines. ]
    [ Unable to print this part. ]

    [ Part 3, Text/PLAIN 13 lines. ]
    [ Unable to print this part. ]