[GE users] Difficulty controlling consumable memory with virtual_free

Craig Tierney ctierney at hpti.com
Fri Jan 14 23:57:22 GMT 2005

I have a few nodes in my system with large memory.  I want
to control the jobs that get put on this node.  I don't want
more processes than slots available (2), but I want to also
require the users to request the memory they need.

The consumable virtual_free seems to be the right one to use.
For each host I have set "slots=2".  I have a parallel environment and a
cluster queue setup, where the hostgroup contains the 4 nodes
I want to control.

They each have 4GB of real memory and 8GB of swap, but I only
want to schedule out jobs using the real memory.

If I submit jobs as "qsub -l virtual_free=5144 -pe eserial 1 tq.csh"
but this didn't work.  I then tried fixing virtual_free on a
host by setting the value by "qconf -me e0507", but that didn't help.

Is the value of the consumable applied per slot, and not per host?

Thanks,
Craig