[GE users] Difficulty controlling consumable memory with virtual_free

Andreas Haas Andreas.Haas at Sun.COM
Mon Jan 17 14:53:32 GMT 2005

On Fri, 14 Jan 2005, Craig Tierney wrote:

> I have a few nodes in my system with large memory.  I want
> to control the jobs that get put on this node.  I don't want
> more processes than slots available (2), but I want to also
> require the users to request the memory they need.
>
> The consumable virtual_free seems to be the right one to use.
> For each host I have set "slots=2".  I have a parallel environment and a
> cluster queue setup, where the hostgroup contains the 4 nodes
> I want to control.
>
> They each have 4GB of real memory and 8GB of swap, but I only
> want to schedule out jobs using the real memory.
>
> If I submit jobs as "qsub -l virtual_free=5144 -pe eserial 1 tq.csh"
> but this didn't work.  I then tried fixing virtual_free on a
> host by setting the value by "qconf -me e0507", but that didn't help.
>
> Is the value of the consumable applied per slot, and not per host?

Craig,

have you made 'virtual_free' consumable?
If so then you need to configure the upper limit of 'virtual_free'
per host. Then the 5144 bytes must be available for each slot of
the job. Both the reported load value and the consumable capacity are
checked.

Andreas