[GE users] Comparison between SGE and other clustering software ?

Rayson Ho raysonho at eseenet.com
Wed Jan 19 14:56:29 GMT 2005

What kind of features are you looking for?? What's your OS?? What kind of
applications are you running on the cluster?? How many users?? Do you want
to configure fair scheduling, and also do accounting??

If we just simply compare SGE and Condor, for example... SGE has better
scheduling algorithms, and also supports job array.

SGE is designed for the more traditional cluster environment and compute
farms, while condor is designed for cycle stealing.

Actually, with SGE, you can also do similar cycle stealing, but you need to
read the "Tracking Interactive Idle Time" HOWTO and the "Relocating Jobs
>From a User's Workstation" HOWTO.

However, the best cycle stealer is BOINC, I think it has less overhead than
Condor.

Rayson