[GE users] Proposal for an improvement in script inst_sge

Wolfgang Friebel Wolfgang.Friebel at desy.de
Fri Jan 21 14:16:25 GMT 2005

On Fri, 21 Jan 2005, Marco Donauer wrote:

> Wolfgang,
>
> I had alook on you Issue, concerning the argument order.
> Does the install script fail, so I mean does it exit or is the behaviour of
> gridengine wrong?
> I made a test and the installation script runs with -m -afs and -afs -m
> What is the entry within your bootstrap file? There should be a product_mode
> is it set to afs?

Hi Marco,

the script itself is working both ways. Unfortunately it does produce
wrong results with the wrong ordering of arguments. Of course I have set
the product_mode to AFS. And I verified that it does indeed work if used
properly.

As I did write the problem is that in the ARGS processing loop you do
source other files which themselves may set variables that are needed
later on. This IS the case for AFS and might be a problem for further
combinations of switches. Therefore my proposal:

> The first loop should process those arguments that do only influence
> Variables (like -bup -rst -afs etc.).
> The second loop should process those arguments that do depend on variables
> which might have been altered in the first loop. That is especially the
> case for the -m switch, but also others might be affected.

Best regards
--
Wolfgang Friebel                   Deutsches Elektronen-Synchrotron DESY
Phone/Fax:  +49 33762 77372/216    Platanenallee 6