[GE users] Migration of settings

Sean Dilda agrajag at dragaera.net
Fri Jan 21 18:39:11 GMT 2005

Jose Duarte wrote:
> Apologies if the question has been asked before but I couldn't find
> anything in the archives.
>
> I am in the process of transferring SGE 6 to a new master host. In the
> old master we were using berkeleydb spooling and would like to get rid
> of this and go for classic spooling so we can easily have a shadow
> master with shared NFS. Everything else from the old setup remains the
> same: nodes, queues etc, is just the master and submit hosts that are
> changing.
>
> Now my question is, what's the easiest way to achieve this? I suppose if
> I had done classic spooling from the beginning the change over would be
> just a matter of moving the whole sge directory tree to the new server
> but don't really know how to deal with the berkeleydb.
>
> Any ideas?

Before you take down the BDB system, get a text format of all your
configs.  You'll need to run commands like this (read the qconf man page
and look for all the 'show' options):

qconf -sconf > sge_conf
qconf -ssconf > sched_conf
qconf -sq all.q > all.q
qconf -sp make > make.pe

Then on the new system, feed them back in with commands like:

qconf -Aconf sge_conf
qconf -Msconf sched_conf
qconf -Mq all.q
qconf -Mp make.pe

(Note, if you're adding a queue or parallel environment instead of
modifying an existing one, you'll want to use '-Ax' instead of '-Mx')

More info on these options can be found in the qconf man page.