[GE users] SGE6.0u1 and user hold and -sync issue

Wilfried Gaensheimer wilfried at gaensheimer.de
Mon Jan 24 17:15:54 GMT 2005

Andreas Haas wrote:
Andreas,

>>I can live with the current situation (our submit wrapper reads the qsub
>>-sync output and does the right thing).
>

> I take your statement as a confirmation users perceive dual use
> of qsub exit status a useful interface ;-)
>
> Thus I believe it is valid to make a distinction with qsub -sync y
> exit status:
>
> - with sequential jobs dual use of qsub exit is useful as
>   long as qsub -sync y output allows to differ between
>   job error condition and exit status
What's your definition of "dual use"? I hope that means the exit code
will reflect both qsub and batch job exit status information.
> - with array jobs dual use of qsub exit isn't useful. If
>   the job exit status is of interest qacct anyways has to be
>   used for checking each tasks exit status
My preferred solution would be to get a non-zero return code with
the -sync option, if any of the job fails. If a user wants to ignore
that, he can do. For usage in Makefiles it's important to get the
"effective" return code, which includes the whole chain of qsub + job.

Bye
Wilfried