[GE users] Suspending jobs submitted with -notify

Dan Gruhn Dan.Gruhn at Group-W-Inc.com
Fri Jan 28 13:18:48 GMT 2005

Ollie,

I've been wrestling with qsub -notify for a week or more myself.  Please
take a look at issue #1440 to see what I have observed as problems.
What I have seen about USR1 is to do the following in my job script:

trap "" USR1

This tells the system to just ignore the USR1 signal.  I found that
trying to handle it, even to output a status message, was a problem if I
wasn't planning to exit after handling it.  In my case, my script1 had
usually called another script2 and if USR1 came in and I tried to output
a message, it would look to my script1 as if script2 had returned with
an exit status greater than 128.

Are you using a script for your job?

Have you tried just ignoring USR1?

What have you set your notify time to on your job queues?

Note that USR2 is very helpful as it lets your job know that it is about
to be killed and you can do some cleanup before that.  It has some
problems, as I have noted in Issue 1440.

-Dan