[GE users] Suspending jobs submitted with -notify

Dan Gruhn Dan.Gruhn at Group-W-Inc.com
Fri Jan 28 16:50:59 GMT 2005

On Fri, 2005-01-28 at 11:33, Göran Uddeborg wrote:

> - sge_shepherd could set up to ignore the USR1 and USR2 signals in the
>   child before exec()ing the command.
>
>   While in a way more intrusive, this would make some sense.  (For all
>   submission styles, not just "-b y".)  For these processes started
>   under "-notify", the USR1/2 signals has the specified meaning, they
>   are an advance warning.  With that meaning, it does make sense to
>   ignore these signals, unless you know what to do with them.  And
>   those processes in the job, whether at the top or further down the
>   tree, that do know something to do, can catch the signal(s) as
>   today.
>
>   It would also close the time window mentioned in 1440, subproblem 2.
>
> (Hm, maybe this should be moved to the devel list?)

I very much like the idea of sge_shepherd ignoring USR1 and USR2
signals.  This has been a painful experience getting this all to work
properly and I see no sense in others going through the same thing.  I
don't see a down side to this but it should be put in the documentation
if implemented.

-Dan

BTW, according to the documentation and my testing, -noshell is not
available for qsub, only for qrsh, the case that already works
correctly.