[GE users] How is it possible for a consumable resource to be over-consumed.

Gary Thomas gthomas at ForteDS.com
Mon Jan 31 22:01:54 GMT 2005

We are doing a simple license management scheme by defining a consumable resource
that any job that runs that software, requests.  The resource is defined like this:

#name            shortcut   type   value           relop requestable consumable default
#--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
mti_lic          mtil       INT    0               <=    YES         YES        0

We have one queue per host that is configured like this

complex_values       mti_lic=1,cynth_lic=4,gridtest=1,coware_lic=0

And we have set a global limit using qconf -me global, that is configured like this.

complex_values             coware_lic=0,bg_lic=1,syn_lic=1,ncvlog_lic=1,mti_lic=8,cynth_lic=100,gridtest=100

We have a total of 30 nodes, and when we launch one of our regression runs, we sometimes end up in a situation
where we have 14 jobs that request mti_lic running at the same time.  If I do qstat -f <jobnum> on one of the jobs still
waiting in the queue, it reports that gc:mti_lice=-6.  How is it possible for a job to get schedule when the resource has
already reach its limit?

How can this happen.

Thanks,

GT

  Gary Thomas                  Senior Software Engineer

  FORTE Design Systems              Tel:   (425)869-4227 x116

  16150 NE 85th Street, Suite 214   Fax:   (425)869-4229

  Redmond, WA  98052

  email: gthomas at ForteDS.com        WEB:   http://www.ForteDS.com <http://www.forteds.com/>