[GE users] SGE-6.0u3 Only 99 event clients are allowed in the system

Ron Chen ron_chen_123 at yahoo.com
Thu Mar 3 15:26:32 GMT 2005

Even 200 clients is a problem, it can still be
troublesome if there are several thousand sync jobs.

Since usually users want to wait for all their
submitted jobs to finish, we can further extent qevent
(how about call it "qwait"?), to refresh memory, this
is what I did in 2003:

http://gridengine.sunsource.net/servlets/ReadMsg?msgId=10204&listName=dev

So users submit their jobs with qsub as usual, but
they collect all the job IDs. Then with the extented
qevent, it waits for all the job IDs.

Example:
% qsub sleep
Your job 11 ("sleep") has been submitted.

% qsub sleep
Your job 12 ("sleep") has been submitted.

% qevent -wait 11 12
Job 11 finished
Job 12 finished

And it can be more powerful if it supports timeout,
and if it timeouted, exit with an error.

(The patch I posted has a race condition -- if a job
already finished before we invoke "qevent -wait", then
qevent will wait forever. So we need to subscribe to
qmaster events, and then get a list of jobs from the
qmaster, and only wait for the running/pending jobs.)

Anyone interested in using this "qevent -wait"
feature?

:)

 -Ron

--- Stephan Grell - Sun Germany - SSG - Software
Engineer <stephan.grell at sun.com> wrote:
> we introduced the limit for two reasons (mainly the
> first one):
> 1) file descriptor limit
> 2) possible drag down the qmaster
>
> I have not seen a hugh impact on the qmaster
> performance due to
> large number of event clients. But than, I have
> never done performance
> testing with more than 200 clients.
>
> Cheers,
> Stephan
>
> Rayson Ho wrote:
>
> >>If you are using -sync or -now, qsub is registered
> with the qmaster as
> >>an event client.  Because, as Charu said, event
> clients can drag down
> >>the qmaster, there is a configurable limit to the
> number of them allowed
> >>at a time, which defaults to 99.
> >>

> >Hi Daniel,
> >
> >Will there be a "slave" event master??