[GE users] Approximate wait time

Ron Chen ron_chen_123 at yahoo.com
Mon Mar 7 05:44:40 GMT 2005

IMO, it is not easy to find the wait time.

For a FIFO scheduler, if you know the runtime of all
of the jobs in front, then you can find the wait time
by dividing the sum with the number of free machines.

However, when running in fairshare scheduling mode,
the scheduler may let users with more shares to start
jobs ahead of users with less shares...

Hmm, not to mention that to find the runtime of other
jobs is already hard.

 -Ron

--- Arati Kadav <aratik at cse.iitk.ac.in> wrote:
> Hi,
> Is it possible for me to know the how much time my
> job wil lhave to wait
> before it is actually scheduled.
> Th way I see it is that it is a function of the
> following:
> 1) The number of queue slots
> 2) The number of jobs running on the machine
> 3) The load by the local users of the machine
> Is there a way to find the information about time
> remaining for jobs on that
> machine and quantify the second thing.
> Regards,
> Arati