[GE users] SGE output file permissions

John Coldrick jc at axyzfx.com
Mon Mar 7 15:07:21 GMT 2005

On Monday 07 March 2005 04:31, Andy Schwierskott wrote:
> "umask 022" is indirectly hardcoded in the job output files umask.
> (umask(022) is set during shepherd startup.

	Ah.

> Hmm, are you saying that jobs from different users are creating the same
> stderr/out files? Why?

	Because we want that and have set it up that way.  Users are submitting
hundreds of jobs, which in turn can submit hundreds of jobs - there's simply
too much clutter and debugging a problem, or even maintaining relatively neat
directories, becomes an issue.  Instead, we have output redirected to
conceptual naming based on task submitted, and it appends to the files.  Thus
this problem.

> There are no means to specify the job output file permissions - it
> would require to change the code.

	OK, understood.  Might be something to think about, anyway, since it's
writing it out as a user, matching that user's umask...although perhaps that
is too much extra work.  Probably better would simply be a config variable.

	Thanks, at least I know what to workaround now...

	Cheers,

	J.C.

Houdini/Renderman/Discreet                           425 Adelaide St W
416-504-0425                                         Toronto, ON Canada
Micro Credo:
	Never trust a computer bigger than you can lift.