[GE users] stupid software queues for license, was: weird "orders queue version is not uptodate" messages in qmaster log

Magnus Söderberg magnus.soderberg at switchcore.com
Thu Mar 10 14:04:14 GMT 2005

Xavier MACHENAUD wrote:
> I was able to progress a little bit on my problem.
>
> Here is the context :
>
> My goal is to avoid taking too many licenses. I first implemented the
>  solution described in the Flexlm HOWTO, but, because the complex is
> not consumable, this solution result in oversubmitting jobs using the
>  license. And as my licenses are supported the flexlm queue feature,
> I'm getting lots of licenses requests queued in flexlm, which is
> penalizing non grid users using these licenses.
 >
> So I though about using a consumable resource, but I wasn't able to
> make it work using the Flexlm HOWTO method. The only way I found was
> to have a script deamon doing the following : * query flexlm to get
> the number of free licenses + number of licenses used by grid's jobs.
>  * set the complex value by "doing qconf -mattr exechost
> complex_values lic_XXX=<used by grid+free>
>
> I've got one script deamon per flexlm vendor running in parallel (3
> scripts monitoring 5 licenses).
>
> This looked to work fine first but : * I'm seeing lots of "orders
> queue version is not uptodate" messages in my qmater log * after a
> while, the scheduler do not work anymore (no jobs get dispatched).
>
> This is a really serious issue as my grid is not working properly.
>
> Do you know if I'm doing something wrong or if it's a bug?
Isn't this kind of a lot of trouble for nothing?
Perhaps you could turn off queueing for licenses instead, at least for
jobs through SGE?
We have the software (in our case Modelsim) die if it doesn't get the
license(s) it needs right away.
We then detect it in the jobscript and exit(99), thereby telling SGE to
rerun the job.
We never have any problems with licenses.

If your software doesn't support turning off license-queueing, tell your
vendor to fix it.

regards

--
Magnus Söderberg, M.Sc.E.E.