[GE users] question on 6.0u3 Mac OS X binaries and the included libs for libcrypto and libssl

Chris Dagdigian dag at sonsorol.org
Thu Mar 10 16:31:24 GMT 2005

Every time I upgrade a Mac OS X cluster running 6.0u1 to 6.0u3 (using
the offical binaries) I end up breaking SSH clients for a short time.

The reason is that ssh is following the SGE set ENV value of
DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH=$SGE_ROOT/lib/darwin and bombing out with version
mismatch errors - the version of libcrypto that comes with the SGE 6.0u3
binary packages is different from what the ssh client wants.

The ssh client problem goes away via 2 methods:

Changing DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH to "/usr/lib:$SGE_ROOT/lib/darwin" so that
SSH loads the libraries it wants from /usr/lib

-or-

Deleting the libcrypto and libssl libraries from the
$SGE_ROOT/lib/darwin directory

Deleting the libraries is easier than globally policing the value of
DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH on a cluster.

I *think* the libssl and libcrypto stuff may only be needed if SGE is
installed in that special secure mode, right? If I'm not planning on
using secure mode is it safe to just blow away the libcrypto and libssl
libraries that 6.0u3 tries to install?

Regards,
Chris