[GE users] sge v6.0u3 new installation issue with more than 1021 hosts.

Joe Landman landman at scalableinformatics.com
Thu Mar 10 16:40:24 GMT 2005

McCalla, Mac wrote:
>  Hi Joe...thanks for your response.
>

>>  What does  "cat /proc/sys/fs/file-nr"  report before and after you
>>run  qmaster?
>

> b4: 2358     1179    655360
> after: 2358    422    655360

You have 655360 maximum file descriptors.  Not bad. :)  You aren't using
many of them.  Probably not a fd resource issue then.

[...]

> this is a 4GB memory machine
> shmmax=33554432
> shmall=2097152
>
> I'll discuss these with my sysadmin.
> thanks again....mac

I haven't dug into the code to see how the bits are managed, but
increasing shared memory arenas is rarely a bad thing for a system
serving large numbers of machines.  This might not be it, but it is
worth at least looking at.

joe

--
Joseph Landman, Ph.D