[GE users] stupid software queues for license, was: weird "orders queue version is not uptodate" messages in qmaster log

Magnus Söderberg magnus.soderberg at switchcore.com
Fri Mar 11 08:01:09 GMT 2005

Xavier MACHENAUD wrote:
> There are few reasons I proceed this way :
>  * The code which is calling the licensed tool is embeded in in house
> developped code which has been thru a validication cycle and I don't
> want to change the code.
>  * the code is also part of a makefile and thus, submitted using qrsh.
> As far as I known, qrsh doesn't rerun jobs doing an exit 99.
>
> Xavier

Hmmm, I see your point.
I still think you will have a hard time fixing it with SGE only though.
Flexlm allows you to reserve licenses for particular users or groups of
users. If you have a reasonable amount of licenses, reserving some for
SGE and some for non-SGE work perhaps could work. The you could tie a
consumable complex to the SGE-reserved ones. Judging from the domain in
your email you ought to have lots of licenses....
Or perhaps changing that complex into a consumable and make sure that
all requests for that particular software is run thorugh SGE, perhaps
through a wrapper script.

/Magnus