[GE users] sge5.3 - delay between dispatching?

Justus Loerke loerke at molgen.mpg.de
Fri Mar 11 12:27:11 GMT 2005

I'm looking for a way to set a defined time delay (say 5 or 10 secs)
between the dispatching of subsequent jobs to execution hosts. Sorry if
I'm posting to the group with this, but I didn't find anything in the
archive or the docs.
I'm having some problems with dispatching and the NFS system: if 2 (or
more) jobs are dispatched and started on different execution hosts at
the same time, these jobs (namely spider) will try to open a results
file with the same name on the NFS shared directory; this will crash all
jobs but one with a 'stale NFS handle' error. If a filename was in use,
the jobs would just use the next free name, but the real problem is that
several jobs try to create the same file _at the same time_. Use of
local (execution host) disks for the destination of the results file is
something we're checking right now, but it clutters up local disks,
distributes debug information over too many hosts and is just not
elegant, you know? :)
So is there a way to reconfigure the scheduler to wait a defined time
interval between the  dispatching of jobs? This would solve my problem,
since newly dispatched jobs would try opening results files in intervals
of 5 or 10 secs and would then use different file names.

Thanks, Justus.

Dipl. Phys. Justus Loerke
- UltraStrukturNetzwerk -
Max Planck Institute for Molecular Genetics
Ihnestr. 63-73
D-14195 Berlin

Tel.:   +49-30-8413-1644
Fax:    +49-30-8413-1385