[GE users] Mac G5 memory limits ?

Ron Chen ron_chen_123 at yahoo.com
Fri Mar 11 16:16:30 GMT 2005

Sorry Reuti, the discussions came from the bioclusters
mailing list, and I invited him to join this list.

http://bioinformatics.org/pipermail/bioclusters/2005-March/002370.html
http://bioinformatics.org/pipermail/bioclusters/2005-March/002371.html

Anyway, it seems to be an OS bug. I have guest account
on a Mac:

% sw_vers
ProductName:    Mac OS X
ProductVersion: 10.3.8
BuildVersion:   7U16

% limit
cputime         unlimited
filesize        unlimited
datasize        6144 kbytes
stacksize       8192 kbytes
coredumpsize    0 kbytes
memoryuse       6144 kbytes
descriptors     1024
memorylocked    6144 kbytes
maxproc         100

But it still allows me to allocate more memory than
the limit. I am doing this interactively without SGE.

Please report this bug to Apple:
https://bugreport.apple.com/

And also, we are making the PPC Linux port offical in
the source tree very soon. May be you can replace OSX
with PPCLinux?

 -Ron