[GE users] scalability testing? (was issue w/ more than 1021 hosts)

Ron Chen ron_chen_123 at yahoo.com
Fri Mar 11 17:54:36 GMT 2005

--- Andy Schwierskott wrote:
> Thanks for the feedback - we did not encounter this
> type of problem duirng our tests.

How about using Solaris zones for scalability testing?

Since 1 V880 with 8GB ram can run 600 zones (with
Apache running in each zone):

http://blogs.sun.com/roller/page/jclingan

May be for 2 or 3 V880s we can get close to 2000
"virtual SGE hosts". And then we use another host to
run qmaster which will drive the 2000 execs?

** of course we can only send sleep jobs, but at least
we can find out if SGE master has any problems talking
to that many execds, or see how well it scales

> In SGE 5.3p6 the commd-commd communication is closes
> after every
> communication bewtween qmaster and execd - thus you
> will not encounter this
> type of problem.

Didn't know that, thanks for the info and correction
:)

 -Ron

Make Yahoo! your home page
http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs