[GE users] qmake/qrsh "root" in environment

Marcel Birthelmer marcel at carrietech.com
Fri Mar 11 22:42:48 GMT 2005

Andy Schwierskott wrote:
> Marcel,
>
> are you saying that "BASH_ENV" in the job points to /root/.bashrc?
>
> And MAIL, USERNAME, SGE_O_MAIL are set to "root"? Did you verify this on
> the
> execution side?
>
> The setuid mount option only affects the submit side which calls "qrsh" or
> "qmake" - submissions just wouldn't work of the client mounts the file
> system containing the rsh binary with the nosuid option.
>
> Andy

Hi,
the situation is as follows:
I have /sge on a file server somewhere. It is NFS-mounted on all relevant
machines (execution servers, admin servers, master server) as /sge.
When I run a script that writes "set" to a file using qmake, numerous
environment variables on the server on which the job is run, such as
BASH_ENV=/root/.bashrc, are set in a manner that suggests that something isn't
set right. I also get an error message about not having privileges to run
/root/.bashrc whenever a new job is spawned from qmake.
The /sge directories are all mounted "rw,defaults", which presumably allows
setuid flags (doing an 'ls -l' on the relevant files certainly suggests that).
I'm not sure what more information there is to provide.
- Marcel