[GE users] Running 1, 2, 3, or 4 jobs on a host with 4 slots

Reuti reuti at staff.uni-marburg.de
Sat Mar 12 15:49:34 GMT 2005

Hi James,

the intention of this thread was to dry-out a low priority queue, when the high
priority queue is used - therefore the use of the load_thresholds. But we don't
need it in your setup.

So, define 4 queues with the different settings in each of them:

max1:
slots 1
subordinate_list max2=1,max3=1,max4=1

max2:
slots 2
subordinate_list max1=1,max3=1,max4=1

max3:
slots 3
subordinate_list max1=1,max2=1,max4=1

max4:
slots 4
subordinate_list max1=1,max2=1,max3=1

In qsub you can submit to e.g. the max3 queue, and so on this machine only jobs
in the max3 queue allowed, since the other queues on this node are blocked.
This might of course lead to some endless waiting jobs - depending on your
average use of the different types of jobs.

Another (more Linux in general) point is: is it good to have 3 jobs on a dual
node? If you have just two jobs, the scheduler in the Liunux kernel should
place the same job always on the same CPU, because there maybe still some valid
data in the cache of this CPU. With 4 jobs - seems the same. But what to do
with three jobs?

Same on Opteron - and maybe worse, if you have dual Opterons and the memory
NUMA-like attached on both CPUs, so memory latency maybe higher if you access
memory attached to the other CPU. Has anyone more detailed information on this?

Cheers - Reuti

Quoting "Marconnet, James E Mr /Computer Sciences Corporation"