[GE users] Job ID Roll over (was: fatal error, run database recovery)

Andy Schwierskott andy.schwierskott at sun.com
Tue Mar 15 10:07:41 GMT 2005

Ron,

> The value (MAX_SEQNUM) seems to be configurable at
> compile time, I will play with it a bit and see if
> increasing it would break anything or not :)
>
> It used to be 999,999 but was increased 10 times to
> 9,999,999, and in theory the code supports 2^32 but it
> was limited to the current value due to performance
> reason:
>
> http://gridengine.sunsource.net/servlets/ReadMsg?listName=dev&msgId=1059

With the need for efficient array job spooling (just spool the changed array
task and not the complete array job as it was donw before) we had to change
the spooling format for classic spooling.

The compiled in MAX_SEQNUM has nothing to do with efficiency. Technically it
can be changed without any problems - you just should make sure that the
qstat output and other output containing job id's (including qmon) is not
getting garbled or cut off for job id's going beyond 10 millions.

Andy