[GE users] Few newbie questions

Ron Chen ron_chen_123 at yahoo.com
Wed Mar 16 00:29:46 GMT 2005

--- Vijay Avarachen <vavarachen at gmail.com> wrote:
> [2] I have only one queue. (all.q).  When I submit
> dummy jobs (simple.sh) it always goes to node4. I
> submit multiple instances of the same job and
> only 2 run on node4.  Why is  that?

Can you submit more jobs than the total number of
slots available so that some jobs are waiting (in qw
state)? Do jobs go to all the nodes?

Also do "qstat -j". And you should be able to see the
scheduler's message from the output.

> [3] When I run a job on master using a shell script,
> and the script is
> referencing a file, does that file get copied over
> to which ever
> execute node gets the job?  Or do I have to make the
> referenced file  accessible via NFS share?

Yes, SGE doesn't know much out what files the job
references. You either put the files in NFS, or setup
some kind of file transfer mechanisms like those
documented in the howto:

http://gridengine.sunsource.net/project/gridengine/howto/filestaging/
http://gridengine.sunsource.net/project/gridengine/howto/filestaging/filestaging6.html

Just FYI: in the future, we should be able to launch
sshd from SGE on the submit host on demand, and then
do an scp. It requires more changes to implement this
(qmaster needs to generate a request to do file
transfer) This is something that is nice to have, and
for now just enable scp on your nodes should be fine.

(Currently, I am working on the SGE-SSH integration)

http://gridengine.sunsource.net/servlets/ReadMsg?list=users&msgNo=9768

 -Ron

> Thank you,
> Vijay Avarachen