[GE users] Few newbie questions

Vijay Avarachen vavarachen at gmail.com
Wed Mar 16 14:37:07 GMT 2005

> Can you submit more jobs than the total number of
> slots available so that some jobs are waiting (in qw
> state)? Do jobs go to all the nodes?

Yes, two jobs are in run state and rest apear in qw state.

> Also do "qstat -j". And you should be able to see the
> scheduler's message from the output.
[root at spduslisclust01 root]# qstat -j
scheduling info:            queue instance
"all.q at node1.na.net.dana.com" dropped because it is temporarily not
available
                            queue instance
"all.q at node2.na.net.dana.com" dropped because it is temporarily not
available
                            queue instance
"all.q at node3.na.net.dana.com" dropped because it is temporarily not
available
                            queue instance
"all.q at node4.na.net.dana.com" dropped because it is full
                            queue instance
"all.q at node4.na.net.dana.com" dropped becasue it is suspended
                            queue instance
"all.q at node4.na.net.dana.com" dropped because it is full
                            queue instance
"all.q at node4.na.net.dana.com" dropped becasue it is suspended
                            queue instance
"all.q at node4.na.net.dana.com" dropped because it is full
                            queue instance "all.q at spduslisclust01"
dropped because it is full

I am not sure why it says that node[1-3] are not available?  I can see
they are up, I can ssh,rsh to them.  Also I can see that sge_execd is
running on the those nodes.  I did not do anything new/special to
node4.

> Yes, SGE doesn't know much out what files the job
> references. You either put the files in NFS, or setup
> some kind of file transfer mechanisms like those
> documented in the howto:
>
> http://gridengine.sunsource.net/project/gridengine/howto/filestaging/
> http://gridengine.sunsource.net/project/gridengine/howto/filestaging/filestaging6.html

Thank you for the links. I will try the two scripts mentioned in the
document out.

> (Currently, I am working on the SGE-SSH integration)

Also I should mention that I am running 6.0 release3 of SGE.  Is this
the version in which you are enabling scp (SGE-SSH integration)?