[GE users] Allocating CPUs team wise

Marconnet, James E Mr /Computer Sciences Corporation james.marconnet at smdc.army.mil
Wed Mar 16 19:32:08 GMT 2005

Chris:

Thanks for sharing, especially the link to some of your work shared on the
web. I worked up the directory structure a little and read thru your
interesting article: "Building and managing production bioclusters".  Deep
within it I found something that echoed my recent sentiments exactly:

"There is relatively little information available in the SGE product
documentation or published materials that covers advanced Grid Engine
deployment, configuration and support strategies. Managing very large and
complex deployments seems to be a bit of a 'black art' that only a few have
really mastered. For novice cluster operators, attempting to manage or
install a sophisticated Grid Engine configuration can be an adventure in
both terminology and technology as layers of 'subordinate queues' and
interlocking chains of 'policies', 'complexes', 'ticket tokens' and 'load
sensors' become bewildering very quickly."

The documentation I've seen so far tells one mostly about what the various
switches and options mean, a little on HOW to do something, but it contains
very little on WHY, much less containing a suggested logic path for
determining what makes sense to do SGE administration-wise.

Fortunately I have someone else who did our SGE installation and it works.
But then they faded away and have not been available much since. Good to
have emergency backup, but I feel really lonely/unsupported in the day to
day operations. And hiring an expert is out of the question.

In trying to support our users and at to get the technical work accomplished
using the cluster we have, we have come up with a dizzying set of group
"agreements" like a 4-hour wall clock runtime limit on certain ques, and
special priority assignment of certain nodes (moving them from que to que)
to help meet certain deadlines; and have in the process set up multiple ques
for our 3 different groups with both "primary" and "secondary" que node
allocations for each group. Plus a special que in one group for people who
want to run 4 jobs per Penguin node instead of the general 3. May yet set up
different ques for different subgroups with more/less priority. Just
starting to put in the subordinate ques so we don't get so many jobs running
on each node because users from different groups used different group ques
to submit their jobs - that I wonder: "Is this really the way we should go?"

So far I have no good basic ques approach/setup guidance other than what
I've found archived here and that which I have received in response to my
recent questions here in this group (thanks!). I keep thinking that someone
here will suggest a good book, but that has not happened so far. SGE
Administration for Dummies??

Again, thanks for sharing some of what you have learned. Looking forward to
piecing things together over some time, a tidbit at a time, ques-wise.

Jim Marconnet