[GE users] integrating matlab distributed computing engine

Mark Westwood mark.westwood at ohmsurveys.com
Thu Mar 17 08:53:50 GMT 2005

Hi Ben

I'd be very interested in learning how you get on with the Mathworks
DCE.  We're heavy users of Matlab on the desktop and we have a 70 CPU
cluster which usually runs our Fortran codes to crunch numbers.  I've
seen some of the publicity material for the DCE and am thinking that we
might want to try it out ourselves.  Unfortunately pressure of work
(which is always getting in the way of doing the fun stuff) means we're
not likely to be able to do this until June or later.

Regards
Mark Westwood

Ben Singer wrote:
> I am running a trial of The Mathworks distributed computing engine
> (DCE), which I would like to integrate with Sun Grid Engine. In DCE,
> matlab worker processes execute tasks submitted by users. However,
> either the workers are run as a fixed user, and do work on behalf of
> multiple users, or users can launch workers reserved for themselves as
> needed. The former is more convenient and efficient, and one will never
> run out of licenses, but SGE cannot track usage by user-- it is all
> accounted to the fixed user. The latter would allow user-level usage
> accounting, but defeats much of the purpose of DCE since it locks
> workers to users.
>
> This seems like a general problem-- services running on clusters that do
> work on behalf of users that connect to them. How can the resources
> consumed by such processes be correctly accounted for in SGE policy?

Mark Westwood
Parallel Programmer
OHM Ltd
The Technology Centre